The Environmental Data Flow Six Sigma improvement project covers LANL’s environmental data processing following receipt from the analytical laboratories.
The Six Sigma project identified thirty-three process improvements, broken into seven subgroups:
- Implementing cloud computing
- Restructuring the data stewards’ jobs
- Eliminating redundant data reviews
- Implementing change control on the system
- Incorporating google maps
- Implementing automatic electronic validation (auto- validation) of the analytical data
- Mapping the data process
Overall, for the six year period from the beginning of FY10 through the end of FY15, the validated actual and interpolated savings from the seven process improvement groups of the Environmental Data Flow Process Improvement was calculated at $14.6 million.